Torque Toyota’s Top 20 all-time best driving songs
January 21, 2021
Looking for that perfect playlist for your commute or next road trip? Look no further! We’ve compiled a list of the 20 best songs that’ll have you singing, moving, grooving (safely – gentle arms and passengers only, of course) and having a blast when you next hit the road.
Let the driving begin
- Hotel California – The Eagles – You may not be able to travel to California (thanks, COVID) but you can still bellow it from your car window. This classic will really have you feeling all the feels.
- Holiday Road – Lindsey Buckingham – Channel everyone’s favourite road trippers, The Griswolds, with this FUN driving song. Hey, is that Christie Brinkley over there….?
- Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) – Beyonce – Always sung with the coordinated shoulder moves that Queen Bey made famous in the video clip. Always.
- Fast Car – Tracey Chapman – Have you ever met anyone who doesn’t love this aptly named song? “I got a plan, to get us outta here…” YES PLEASE.
- I’ll Be There for You – The Rembrandts – The Friends theme song… Enough said.
- Little Red Corvette – Prince – Prince’s first Top 10 hit that helped propel him to superstar status hilariously was inspired by a nap he once took in his backup singer’s Mercury! Today, no road trip would be complete without it.
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor – Need some motivation ahead of your arrival? There’s a reason this one was the theme song for Rocky III! We can’t think of anything more instantly recognisable than the awesome guitar “power chords” in the intro either.
- Wannabe – Spice Girls – Not just for the ladies, this one will have the entire car partying like its 1999 (okay, it was actually released in 1996… but you get the idea).
- Better Together – Jack Johnson – This one’s for getting lost in your thoughts while taking in the scenery… though who can resist bopping along to the beats too. Pure bliss.
- Africa – Toto – Is it just us, or does thing song transport you to Africa every time? Even if you’ve never even been there! Can’t leave home without this one on your list.
- Part of Me, Part of You – Glenn Frey – Because who doesn’t love feeling a little Thelma and Louise-esque as you drive off into the sunset?
- Mr Brightside – The Killers – The first and arguably best song the band ever wrote, it’s earnt its place here.
- Life is a Highway – Tom Cochrane – Go on, blast it… while driving on the highway (too cheesy?). Brilliant song.
- All the Small Things – Blink 182 – This iconic year 2000 track is still a firm favourite for energising those long road trips. And you know it’s cool ‘cos it made the cut in an episode of The Simpsons!
- Wonderwall – Oasis – Liam Gallagher, Oasis’ lead singer, apparently despises the song so much he gags when he hears it – but we love it. It’s timeless. Enjoy.
- Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom – Venga Boys – Something a bit light and upbeat for your drive. Just don’t tell the kids what the words really mean.
- Khe Sanh – Cold Chisel – We had to include this classic Aussie anthem. Sends those patriotic chills down our spine every time.
- Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd – Absolute musical perfection and worth introducing to anyone in the car who has not yet experienced heaven.
- Hero – Mariah Carey – This track will turn your vehicle into centre stage, even if you do murder that incredible five-octave range…
- Gangsta’s Paradise – Coolio – Coolio once said “Gangsta’s Paradise wanted to be born; it wanted to come to life, and it chose me as the vessel.” Make your car stereo your vessel – you won’t regret it.
What else will you be adding to your driving playlist this year?